- 1/2 recipe pie dough
- 3 large cooking apples (I like Granny Smith for this one)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbsp margarine
1. Make the dough as per the recipe. Roll out on a floured surface into a 12-14 inch circle. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. Peel the apples. Chop in half, from stem to flower end. Remove stem and flower ends. Use a melon baller to carefully remove seeds/cores. Use a paring knife to thinly slice the apple halves, keeping all the slices together.
3. Place an apple half in the centre of the dough. Fan slightly. Place other halves around the centre apple and fan. Sprinkle lemon juice over the apples.
4. Mix together sugars and spices. Sprinkle over apples. Dot with margarine. Gather dough up into the centre (trim edges first if you like).
5. Place galette in the fridge for 20-30 mins so the dough can firm up. Preheat oven to 375 degrees with a rack on the bottom third of the oven.
6. Bake for about 45 mins, until crust is golden and filling is bubbling. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before eating.