Sunday, January 22, 2012

Easy Mexican Red Rice


Great on its own, as a side, or in a burrito.

INGREDIENTS
- 1 dried red chile, deseeded (I used a New Mexico chile)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (juice and all)
- 1.5 cups long grain rice (I used basmati), rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas

METHOD
1. Slit open chile and deseed, then soak in a bowl of hot water for about 5 mins.  Save the soaking water.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, then sauté onion and garlic for 5-7 mins, until translucent but not browned.
3. While onions are cooking, blend the soaked chile (but not the soaking water) into the tomatoes (I use an immersion blender in a juice pitcher, but a blender or food processor would also work).  Blend until smooth.
4. Add rice to onions and stir to coat with oil.  Cook for 2 mins then add the tomato mixture.  Mix well.
5.  Bring to bubbling, then reduce to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 mins, or until rice is almost cooked.  If rice gets too dry, add some of the soaking liquid.

6.  Add peas to the rise, mix well, then cover and cook for 5 mins.  Fluff rice and serve.

18 comments:

VeganKeegan said...

New vegan, new follower can't wait to keep reading :)

akl said...

How great! I was just thinking that I want to make a Mexican rice dish, so I thought I would go check your archives... but then the first recipe that popped up was this! Making this tonight!

Jenny said...

Looks great! Love your blog.

quilterliz said...

G'day. Sounds delicious. Will give it a go one night this week. Take care. Liz...

Kathleen Richardson said...

So easy. I can imagine the option of adding black beans, and I'd look for a vegan cornbread recipe (do you have one?).

Liz Manning said...

Hi Vegan Dad! This sounds great; I think I'll make it tonight. About how many does it serve?

Bethany said...

Can't wait to try this with some veg refrieds or black beans, some guacamole... yum.

Adkins403 said...

Hey Vegan Dad:
I would like to ask about the Vegan lunch meat. I made the lunch meat from a recipe in about 2008. It seems to have a metallic after taste. Did I do something wrong or what do I need to do to eliminate that. If you want to write me at badkins@cox.net

Ashley said...

This sounds wonderful. I have pin it on Pinterest.

SystemError said...

Peas? What kinda pinche gringo rice is this? :) Add a bell pepper or two for some color. No quiero peas en mi arroz. :)

Susan said...

I make something similar, with peas and carrots, but this looks amazing. Thanks, XOXO

Tae said...

I made this tonight, and I'm very confused by the directions for cooking the rice. I put the rice in with the onions and garlic and oil - coated the rice with the oil, for about 2 min. Then I added the tomato mixture and brought to bubbling. And then I reduced to low, simmered for 15 min. At which point the rice was still VERY hard. so I added some of the soaking liquid and kept cooking on low. It took about an extra hour to cook, and even then there were still some uncooked pieces of rice. My family ate it, but it was still not fully cooked... in fact it's still cooking, even though it's partly overcooked now as well. What went wrong? How can rice cook in about 20 minutes? Did I miss something?

Tae said...

P.S. Love your blog though! And appreciate all the wonderful vegan meals... should have started with that :)

Carrie™ said...

Oh yum! I've never seem to get the right taste when I try to make a Mexican flavoured rice. I think the dried chili might just do it. Peas for a little sweetness...wonderful!

blogtweeter1 said...

This is a really good blog about vegan food. If i ever go vegan, this is the blog i will read 1st. Good pictures too.

Since i´m a new blogger, i wonder if you want to subscribe to it by mail?

I would really like more subscribers and readers to it.

U´ll find it at: blogtweeter1.blogspot.com

Will you do this?

Best regards!

Kumudha said...

Mexican rice looks so yum...

Thank you so much for inspiring people to try cruel-free diet.

Lovlie said...

Wow! Looks really tasty! Love the colour of that rice too.

InspiRAWtion said...

That looks really tasty :-)