Sunday, August 14, 2011

Summer Chowder

The weather has been a bit colder since the calendar turned to August so it did not seem weird to eat a hot soup during the summer. But, even if it was hot I think I would still make this delicious, creamy chowder made of seasonal ingredients. The corn and cauliflower came from a local farm, and the garlic, shallots, and potatoes from my garden.

- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 small cauliflower, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3 cups peeled potato, diced (Yukon Gold is nice), divided
- water
- kernels from 2 ears of corn
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Saute onions and celery for 5 mins, then add shallots and garlic. Saute for another 5 mins until soft and translucent but not golden.
2. Add cashews, 1 cup of the potato, and the cauliflower. Add enough water to almost cover the veggies (i.e. a few should be poking out). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 mins, until veggies are very soft.
3. While cauliflower is cooking, boil the remaining potatoes in salted water until just tender (about 5 mins for fresh potatoes). Add corn and cook for another 2 mins, until corn is tender. Drain.
4. Blend cauliflower with an immersion blender until very smooth (a good 5 mins). Add more water if too thick. Add nutritional yeast, if using, and season with salt and pepper. Add potatoes and corn and mix well. Adjust seasonings and serve.


Karen said...

This looks delicious! As long as I have A/C, I will eat hot soups all year long!

grooovygirl said...

It's funny, but I was totally craving tomato soup today. (: This sounds very nice though so I will give it a try. Thanks! (BTW, I found an awesome roasted tomato soup recipe if you're interested.)

quilterliz said...

G'day. That looks delicious. Apart from the yeast, I think I have most of the ingredients here. Take care. Liz...

Tanya said...

Oh that looks amazing!!! must make.

maesti said...

Made this for supper tonight - in South Africa it is still winter so hot soup is always welcome!

Do you think it would freeze well? It makes a big pot and there is just myself and DH to eat it.

whuteva said...

Thank you so very much for this recipe!

I left out the nooch (stomach issues) and the shallots (didnt have any) and this chowder was STILL incredible.

As a matter of fact, I am having the last bowl full as I write this. It is about 2 days old, and the aging helped the flavors meld.

A million thanks!

royal said...

I have read your post and I appreciate the information which shared here which really good read to me.


Liz said...

A very long time ago...
I used to go gaga over clam chowder but now I can have my soup and eat it too..

Thank you!

Sandra Kohlmann said...

I made this over the weekend and it was delish! I sauteed the corn, rather than boiling it and I added some dill and parsley. I liked it so much, I linked the recipe up on my blog.

Two Degrees said...

Hot soups are great on a cold evening by a campfire. I just made this one for my weekend camping trip:

Do you use raw cashews?

The Rockin' Vegan said...

Looks and sounds amazing! I really love a good chowder, and how nice that you can use some things from the garden...