Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cantaloupe Sorbet

I hated cantaloupe when I was a kid and can remember gagging it down a few times, repulsed by both its taste and texture. My kids (save the eldest) did not inherit my juvenile cantaloupe-hating gene and actually have to have their melon intake regulated so there are no ill effects at the other end. But even if you are not crazy about muskmelon, this is a wonderful sorbet with a mellow flavour and smooth texture. It's more or less a play on my Strawberry Daiquiri Sorbet. For those who wonder about the alcohol, it inhibits freezing and gives the sorbet a softer and smoother texture. You don't have to use it, but it is better if you do.

INGREDIENTS
Makes about 4 cups, or 1 quart
- 3.5 cups diced ripe cantaloupe
- 1 cup sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp tequila

METHOD
1. Place diced cantaloupe and sugar in a food processor and process until smooth. Add lemon juice and tequila and blend.
2. Place mixture in the fridge for an hour to chill, then process in an ice cream maker. Transfer to a container and freeze overnight before serving.

15 comments:

Margie said...

First time to your blog... and this looks yummy!!! I think I will have to check out more! Where were you when I had to cater a dinner that only had one vegan... yikes I was amazed at how hard it is to cook this way!

Dr. Mary said...

Wow, I like adding some ginger to mine. It gives it a good zing :)

Emma Odette Barnett said...

WOW ! I had no idea there was such a big world of vegan food out there...how amazing!
x
http://emmaodettebarnett.com

acoventura said...

Hi Vegan Dad,

This recipe sounds really good. I was wondering if you have an alternative method because I don't have an ice cream maker at home.

Thank you for the recipe.

Allysia said...

I had the exact same repulsion to cantaloupe! And honeydew, too. I've never made a sorbet before, but the alcohol bit makes perfect sense now that you mention it.

Kirsten said...

must get a ice-cream maker!

Nicole Linette said...

That looks delicious! We had so much overripe cantaloupe the other day, I began smoothie and pureeing it all. Wish I could get my hands on some tequila..

Cheers,
nicole.

quilterliz said...

G'day. Just reading this recipe makes my mouth water. It look delicious. I must try it. Take care. Liz...

Suburban Snow White said...

Fascinating!! In my relatively recent omnivorous days, I made loads of ice cream in my ice cream maker and loved experimenting with flavors. You have inspired me to begin my project anew!

D7ana said...

Happy Blog Jog Day!

Sounds yummy, your cantaloupe sorbet. Never would have thought to use a melon for sorbet. Thanks for the recipe.

openid said...

I have such mixed feelings about cantaloupe. When it's perfectly ripe and sweet, I adore it. If it's even slightly over- or under-riped, though, it makes me want to hurl. That said, the addition of sugar and booze certainly make this sorbet sound tempting. :)

Kangareux said...

This looks delicious! I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing it!

katrobedinrighteousness said...

Looks like it would be very yummy and refreshing on a hott day! I will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda Petersen said...

This was super yummy! Next time I will use less sugar though, it was SWEET!

Elyse said...

This was so. damn. good. Next up, the strawberry daiquiri sorbet. Saturday is farmer's market and I'm 'foraging' for strawberries!