Thursday, March 3, 2011

Pain Au Chocolat

Alas, this is the last of the laminated pastry posts. I had a lot of fun (and possibly gained a few pounds) but I realize that not everyone is game to spend the entire day laminating and baking dough and pastries. Still, if you ever decide to give it a whirl know that it can be done and can be tasty. Pain au Chocolat is a snap to make (provided you have some croissant dough already made). You can also use the same method to make chocolate croissants.

Makes 6
INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 recipe croissant dough
- grated or finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- soy milk for brushing

METHOD 1
With the oven at 425 degrees, the pastries spring up quickly and bake to a lovely golden brown. The quick oven rise means that the pastry comes out fairly soft but with a few air pockets.
1. Roll dough on a into 8 x 12 inch rectangle, then cut into six 4 inch squares. Place about a tbsp of the chocolate down the middle the each square, then fold the top 1/3 down and bottom 1/3 up. Gently seal the seam and place seam down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
2. Cover the pastries and let rise for about 1.5 hours, or until nicely swelled.
3. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Brush pastries with soy milk and bake on the middle rack for 15-17 mins. Let fully cool in the pans and serve.

METHOD 2
With the lower oven temp and longer cook time, the pastries rise more evenly in the oven but are a bit drier than the above method.
1. Do Steps 1 and 2 as above.
2. Bake as per the instructions in the croissant recipe.

11 comments:

Bianca said...

Jesus, that looks delicious.

Spenc said...

Looks delicious, reminds me of my Paris vacation. I can't wait to convince my significant other to make these for me.

Christine said...

Can't wait to make these!

MamaMango said...

Amazing!! I MUST try these!

Diana said...

It's unfortunate that this is beyond my capacity to make...but pain au chocolat is one of the very few things I miss as a vegan. Sadly, it's also the reasons I am scared of going back to Paris, as I fear it's power of seduction through the many patisserie shop windows! Bravo on your feat....and I am so jealous!!

Holger said...

Yummy, I have to try for myself and to persuade my non-vegan wife.

I think I should order the "Essentials of Baking". I´ve already purchased "The Bread Baker´s Apprentice"...great book !!

Greets

Holger

RunCrissieRun said...

I love seeing this recipe! When I took my very first French class in 7th grade, our teacher made us eat this. I've been a fan ever since (24 years later!). Thanks for the recipe!
Crissie

alessandra-veganblog said...

Amazing!

Kate said...

YUMMM. That is one thing I miss that you can't easily get vegan. Mmm, pain au chocolat...

Zoƫ Montana said...

This looks incredible-
Croissants were always my favorite as a little girl!

Check out my new blog : http://teenveganqueen.blogspot.com/

MissRead said...

Hey, I tried making these and my dough didn't rise. At all. I left it on the kitchen table all night and then put it in the (un-turned-on) oven for 2 more hours in the morning. Nothing. (As I understood it, dough rises better when it's warm and since the recipe did not say it needed to be cold to rise, I didn't think I needed to refrigerate it). Any ideas of what went wrong?