Saturday, August 15, 2009

Thai Tamarind Chili Tofu and Cashews

Hopefully you've already made your tamarind chili paste and are ready to put it in a tasty dish for dinner. Keep in mind that you can alter this recipe to suit your tastes, making it sweeter or hotter as you see fit. None of my cooking is really all that precise, so take these recipes as a guideline. I have baked to tofu for this dish--I like my tofu to have some toothiness and this is a way to get a firm texture without frying.

INGREDIENTS
Golden Baked Tofu
- 1 pkg tofu, cut into cubes
- 1-2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt

- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 shallot, halved and sliced
- red curry paste to taste
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, cored and seeded, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, angle cut into about 1" pieces
- 3-4 tbsp tamarind chili paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp mushroom soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish

METHOD
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss tofu cubes in enough oil to coat, add salt. Place sheet in the oven and bake for 20 mins, or until golden, turning cubes regularly to evenly brown.
2. While tofu is baking, prep your veggies. Heat oil in a wok over med-hi heat. Add shallots and fry for 1 min, then add garlic and curry paste and fry for 30 seconds. Add red pepper and fry for 1 min more, until it begins to soften. Add green onions and fry 1 min more.
3. Add tamarind paste, stock, sauces, and sugar and mix well. Season to taste. Add cashews and tofu and heat through.
4. Garnish with cilantro and serve over jasmine rice.

9 comments:

Laura said...

This looks incredible! I have been craving cashews like crazy recently...i am glad we're on the same food page!!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Great recipe! I have been in the mood for Thai food lately and I think this will really hit the spot. Gorgeous photo!

Battling Obesity said...

Thanks for your recipe. I shall try baking tofu, which I have never tried before.

Mona said...

this looks so awesome. Is is possible to substitute a commercially available tamarind paste? Your looks really good, but I don't think I have the time/can find the ingredients to make it right now.

Kiersten said...

That sounds absolutely delicious! Even better than some of the food our local Chinese restaurant serves.

nancybond said...

This sounds scrumptious! I can't tell you how happy I am to have found your wonderful blog!

betty said...

Wonderful,beautiful site-love the pictures -thanks for the great info!!!Betty http://www.geothermalquestions.net

glastonburyrain said...

I'm just starting out with tofu so I'm curious, do you press your tofu before you bake it? Is that something that usually just goes unsaid because tofu should be pressed every time?

Thanks!

~ nicollette

Vegan Dad said...

glastonburyrain,
I use an extra firm tofu that is fairly low in water content. If you use a softer tofu, then you may want to press first just so it firms up in the oven.