Saturday, March 7, 2009

King Oyster Mushroom Cannelloni

Mushrooms are great and I wish my kids didn't whine about them so much. Sometimes you just don't feel like tofu or seitan, and this is where mushrooms come in (think grilled portabello sandwich when burgers won't do). So, tonight I present you with garlicky mushroom-stuffed cannelloni in a creamy white sauce. It has a seafood kind of feel to it. The recipe makes enough for our ever-expanding and ever-hungry family, so feel free to cut it in half.


INGREDIENTS
Makes 12
- 12 oven-ready cannelloni shells

Sauce
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups plain soy milk
- 1/2 cup soy creamer (or more soy milk)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (or more if your nutmeg is as old as mine)
- salt and pepper to taste

Filling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 generous cups chopped king oyster mushrooms (I used 8 mushrooms)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vermouth

METHOD
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Make the sauce: melt the margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 min, whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in milk and creamer, and bring to bubbling. Whisk in nutritional yeast until smooth, then season with nutmeg and salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Make the filling. Heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic, and salt and cook until starting to reduce. Add vermouth, then cook down until all liquid has disappeared (about 10 mins).
3. Whisk sauce and add 1/2 cup to the filling, mixing well. Stuff filling into shells.
4. If remaining sauce seems too thick, whisk in a little more soy. Put a layer on the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place cannelloni into the dish, making sure there is some space between them so they can expand. Cover with the remaining sauce, then cover dish with foil.
5. Bake for 22-25 mins, until sauce is bubbling and pasta is cooked.

14 comments:

Carrie said...

That sauce looks heavenly! I adore mushrooms, so I am sure I would love this.

drepublic said...

when i first saw the photo, i thought you had made crepes. and after reading your recipe, i think the filling/sauce would make a delicious crepe indeed, probably with the chickpea crepes from Vcon. thanks for the sunday dinner inspiration!

Penny said...

Like all your recipes, this looks VERY GOOD! I'll be trying it. Thanks!

Eating Consciously said...

The sauce reminds me of a bechamel sauce.

VeganLinda said...

I love that your recipes serve enough for a family of five! With three vegan kids myself it is nice to not have to double a recipe to feed the crew. This looks great! I hope all is going well with VeganMom's pregnancy.

DJ Karma said...

Sounds rich and elegant!

bohemiangirlpdx said...

This looks fabulous! I've been jonesing for some new mushroom dishes since we're trying to eat locally grown vegetables, and this time of year in the Pacific Northwest, that's pretty much mushrooms, leeks and chard.

Susan G said...

Those look wonderful. have never seen oven ready canneloni!

Your comment about the boys not liking mushrooms made me laugh. I would love to get my kids to eat tofu, tempeh and seitan (or mushrooms)!

Vegan Soldier said...

That looks wonderful and wish I had it before me right now :)

Macie said...

You had me at "garlicky and mushroom"

Jamie said...

These were amazing! Thank you!

JennyO said...

Made these last night and they were wonderful. You are VERY popular around our house this weekend!

coulditbeseitan said...

Yum!! I am such a mushroom fanatic, I'm going to have to make these.

Becks said...

Made this tonight...delicious! Even my picky meat eating boyfriend loved it.