Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tofu Reuben Sandwiches

I was really in the mood for a reuben sandwich tonight, but after an afternoon snowshoeing on the lake with the family there was not enough time to make seitan. So I adapted the method from the tofu pancetta to make a corned beef-esque tofu. The result was very good. The texture was a bit different, of course, but the flavours were all there. This is a good option for those who shun fake meat.


INGREDIENTS
Corned Beef-esque Tofu
- 1 cup water
- 4 tsp seasoned salt
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp dried mustard
- 5 dried juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu, thinly sliced, and dabbed dry
- oil

METHOD
1. Heat water and spices to boiling and simmer for 5 mins.
2. Meanwhile heat slices of tofu in two frying pans over medium heat. When they begin to sizzle, strain (though a fine mesh sieve) half of the spice mixture into each pan.
3. Bring liquid to bubbling, and simmer until reduced. When reduced, add a few splashes of oil and fry until crispy on each side.
4. Assemble sandwiches as per this recipe.

Here is the amazing view on the lake today.

18 comments:

Ricki said...

WOW those look good! I love Reuben sandwiches and usually have them with tempeh, but this tofu version is very intriguing! Must go look for juniper berries.

DJ Karma said...

Those look very tempting- especially piled up like that! Hey, as long as the flavor is there, I usually don't miss the meat- it's my family that I have to appease ;)

Matt said...

Those look even better than you're other Reuben sandwiches. I will be trying these soon. Thanks

DJ said...

Great idea - I love tofu on sandwiches and this looks like a version to try!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Wow! Great idea. I love reubens but never thought to make them with tofu. I am thinking about trying this tonight, thanks for the recipe.

GEORGE ALAN FRAMPTON said...

Hi. I'd like to try this. Do you pick your own juniper berries or can you buy them somewhere? I don't remember seeing them for sale down here. When north, I see a lot of them and wonder if I can just pick them and dry them myself. Thanks.

Valerie

trucksr4gurls said...

i was just dreaming of a joey bishop (corned beef and coleslaw on rye) last night and wondering if there was a way to use tofu. what great timing!

Bianca said...

You know, I love veggie reubens, but I don't think I've ever had a real reuben. So I don't know the tempeh ones that I make actually taste authentic or not. But I do remember loving corned beef back in the day. I bet your tofu version is amazing!

helloveggie.org said...

This looks great! I'm going to try this recipe out asap because I'm sure D will love it! Thanks!

Chris said...

I really like this recipe - using tofu is much less labor intensive compared to other ones I've seen. Now you've got me craving a reuben sandwich, too! :P

Eating Consciously said...

What exactly is corned beef anyway?

Laci said...

What are juniper berries? I want to try this recipe!

Anonymous said...

Looks pretty gross. Monstrosities like that is one of the reasons I avoid meat in the first place.

Vegan Dad said...

Juniper berries: I bought some dried ones at the Reading Terminal Market the last time I was in Philly. I'm not sure where I can get them here. They are optional in the recipe, though.

Vegan Dad said...

Anonymous,
Monstrosities? Don't be such a hater, dude.

Kelly said...

Yum. It reminds me of a similar recipe I saw in the Grit Cookbook that I have been meaning to try. Delicious! You have such a knack for flavors.

robiewankenobie said...

You can also make them with portabella mushrooms instead of the tofu. I swear it's sex on wheels. For true.

(And reading market? *swoon*)

Watch Me Rise said...

Sounds amazing, I'm going to have to give it a try this weekend.