Saturday, November 8, 2008

Ethiopian Stew

This isn't any particular Ethiopian dish, but rather is a stew inspired by Ethiopian flavours. I was craving something hearty and this really hit the spot.


INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup yellow split peas
- 3 cups of water
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1" piece of ginger, minced
- 2 cups chopped seitan (or 1 can of chickpeas), optional
- 1 lb cubed potatoes
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tbsp berbere (or more)
- 1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 1 cup red lentils
- water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 six oz can tomato paste

METHOD
1. Rinse split peas and place in a pot with the 3 cups of water. Bring to boiling, cover, and simmer until soft. Drain off excess water.
2. While peas are cooking, heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add spices and fry for 1 min. Add onions, garlic, and ginger, and fry for 5-7 mins, until onions are soft. The spices may stick to the bottom of the pot, so periodically add a splash of water to the pan to deglaze.
3. Add seitan (if using), potatoes, carrots, and berbere. Fry for 2 mins. Add tomatoes, beans, lentils, and cooked split peas, and mix well. Add enough water to the pot to cover the veggies by about 1/2 inch. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Bring to bubbling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for at least 30 mins. Stir periodically to keep lentils and veggies from sticking.
5. Stir in parsley and tomato paste and cook for 5 mins.

12 comments:

shelby said...

*jaw drops*
HOLY YUM!

Vegetation said...

Mmmm looks like perfect yummy comfort food to me!

The Wind Attack said...

I could so go for some of that right now!

Eva said...

Would you happen to know a recipe for azifa? I had it once at an Ethiopian restaurant, and it was delicious. It's the lentil dish with vinegar in it... I just remember the sourness most saliently, as I sour is my favorite taste. If you have a recipe for it, or would know where I could acquire such a recipe, please email me! Thank you for your time!

Sharon R said...

Oh this sounds really good; I didn't think of using split peas & lentils in the same dish.
Now I'll have to stop oogling & start getting busy in the kitchen.

paprikapapaya said...

Woah. I just discovered your blog and like, everything looks AMAZING. Like this stew for example. Definitely a permanent bookmark. And a fellow Ontarian too? Radical. Thanks for posting all the nummy foods!

AzusaJM said...

Wow Vegan Dad! This dish is really tasty and plentiful. The recipe made a total of 18 cups of stew!! I made it today using the seitan recipe from Veganomicon. It is the first time I made seitan from scratch!

AzusaJM said...

Wow Vegan Dad! This dish is really tasty and plentiful making a total of 18 cups of stew!! I made it today using the seitan recipe from Veganomicon. It is the first time I made seitan from scratch!

Sarah said...

This was absolutely delicious! My husband made it last night. It is going into our winter warm-your-tummy rotation. Thanks for sharing!

Tarah said...

I found your blog by searching for vegan recipes for our new Ethiopian daughter. Great job with the recipe. If you want any info on other Ethiopian Vegan dishes, let me know. :)
We make mesir wat, gomen, injera, alecha, and more...
We will be visiting often to help with our twice a week tsome vegan days. :)

spandexonthebrain said...

I went through your archives and found this recipe. I had most things on hand (the only changes I made were a purple yam instead of a potato and I used 3Tbsp berebere instead of the other spices in the beginning.) I also used chickpeas, rather than the seitan. Delicious, healthy comfort food. I've already portioned a lot of it and put it in the freezer for future lazy days. Thanks for sharing this - I can't wait to try more of your recipes!!

Lori said...

I just discovered this recipe and made this today. I didn't use your Berbere spice, but added some others, so my stew isn't exactly like yours, but this is excellent! The way the flavors come together and complement each other is amazing. Delicious stew! Thanks for sharing your recipe.