Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ginger Pear Crepes

I really am being a negligent blogger these days. Things are so busy between prepping for classes, trying to research and write, run a small bakery, and look after 3 kids! Anyway, this is the dessert I made for my date night with Vegan Mom on Sunday. The inspiration comes from the latest issue of Food and Drink. The original recipe has apples and I had every intention of the following/veganizing the recipe, but when I went to make it I could not find the magazine anywhere. Then I noticed that we had a bunch of pears that needed to to be eaten up. I think this recipe could benefit from a few splashes of liquor, but I am not sure what kind (any ideas, Celine?).

INGREDIENTS
Makes 10 crepes
- 1/2 recipes of crepes (should make about ten 6" crepes)
- 8 ripe pears, peeled, cored and diced (I used Bartlett)
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- few splashes of water
- 1 recipe vegan cream, or soy yogurt

METHOD
1. Make crepes and set aside, stacked on one another.
2. Melt margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add pears and cook for 3-4 mins, or until they begins to break down a bit. Add sugar and spices and bring to bubbling. Let thicken a bit adding some water if needed. Remove from heat.
3. Place 1/10 of the filling in the centre of a crepe. Fold in half, then in quarters. Press the crepe down a bit to distribute the filling. Top with cream, or yogurt, and serve.