Sunday, September 21, 2008

Corn Doggies

Just a quick post tonight because I today has been absolutely insane. It was my busiest day for the bakery so far: 8 baguettes, 6 loaves of whole wheat bread, two trays of lemon currant rolls, and 2 loaves of rye bread. To make things even busier, I had a baby shower to attend for a colleague, and Son #1 had a birthday party to go to. And, since the birthday party was at the bowling alley, and since the bowling alley staff doesn't even know what vegan means, I had to make a parallel meal for him to take. He requested the corn doggies from Happy Herbivore's new e-cookbook (you should buy it). I made them on a bamboo skewer, included some ketchup and mustard for dipping, and he was off. It is great that he now doesn't care that he has to take a different meal to parties, and great dishes like this make it easy for him to be the odd one out. Thanks, Happy Herbivore!

10 comments:

Teresa said...

YUM. That e cookbook looks wonderful. I'll probably purchase it. Thanks for the link.

I don't know how you keep up such a busy life. Keep up the good work with your blog. If you don't tire too much!

shelby said...

I LOVE this recipe!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that you write one of my favourite vegan blogs. Your ideas are always so creative and taste wonderful. Keep up the great work!

seitanismymotor said...

These look perfect!

carrie said...

that's so cool....my oldest still has trouble being the "odd" kid. She's almost the only kid that brings a sack luch to school every day (the cafeteria staff have no idea what vegan is). And, birthday parties are always a battle. I hope that she comes to accept and enjoy it as your son has.

congrats on your busy bakery day....I wish I lived close enough to order!

Happy Herbivore! said...

You're very welcome! & I'm so touched that son#1 actually requested them! I feel... cool.

I've had a few people recently email me saying the corndogs also reheat nicely and also hold up in school lunches. :)

One buyer even said she took them to a ball game and people asked her where in the park she'd bought them! Another person said her co-worker mistakenly thought they were twinkies and asked her why she was heating her twinkies up in the micro. oh my.

Krista said...

Glad to hear that you're bakery seems to be off to a great (and busy) start!

Bianca said...

Oh, I keep wanting to try those! I bought the book but haven't made any of the recipes yet. These (or the mojito cupcakes) may be my first!

jessica said...

Those look great! You inspired me to buy the e-book, but how did you get the corn dogs to look so perfect? Mine were delicious, but looked like corn dog pancakes!

Vegan Dad said...

I used less liquid so I could form the batter around the dog.