Saturday, August 30, 2008

Meat-Free Lunches for the Kids

You no doubt have heard by now of the listeriosis outbreak in Canada which has killed 10 people to date. The source: Maple Leaf meat products. The company has now recalled dozens of its products, and with school to start soon, some are wondering what to pack in the kids' lunches. The logical choice would be peanut butter, but most schools (if not all) in Ontario have banned nuts due to allergy concerns. So, what's left? Your best resource is Vegan Lunch Box (also a great cookbook) which is teeming with great meat-free lunch ideas. And, even though this blog is mainly about dinner, I do have a few recipes as well:

1. Veggie Lunch Meat: Homemade is cheaper and tastier, I think.
2. Eggless Salad: my kids absolutely love it. They even request it!
3. Tunori: a great replacement for tuna salad.
4. Hearty Tomato Soup: crack out the Thermos for a rich soup.

6 comments:

Janet said...

Hey VD, would they let you bring seed butters, like sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds)? Or cashew butter (are kids w/ nut allergies sensitive to cashews too?). What a drag... but thanks for these great ideas!

Friar Tuck said...

Mmm...hearty tomato soup. Good for a rainy day like today.

Vegan Dad, you may be interested to know my foray into curried vegetables and more meals with mixed beans, especially chickpeas, is going well.

Vegan Dad said...

friar,
I salute you and your bean-eating ways.

Fresh from the Source said...

I was wondering what parents were going to do for their children's lunches, though thought they'd just give them some money to go to a local fast-food. Yuk!

Thanks for reminding me, though. I'm on my way up to the French River next week, staying on an island, so having to plan all my meals for the week. The tunori, and eggless salads are now part of my menu planning.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Vegan Dad, You're so fab!
I don't know if you are a listener of CBC at all, but here in Halifax today on the "Maritime Noon" program on radio one, they tackled this exact topic. They spoke with a dietician at the IWK Children's hospital...all she really talked about was eggs, lots of different cheeses, as well as tuna. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

As a holistic nutritionist I shrudder to think of the dairy allergies that will be developed, the mecury poisoning from the tuna, and the sad smell of boiled eggs. I can't believe they didn't mention, even once, briging a thermos, getting CREATIVE in the kitchen, or even something as simple as left overs.

This post gives me hope!! So THANK YOU. My partner and I are vegan, and though he and I have no children as of yet, these easy and lovely recipes feed us well, too! Child or adult, a good lunch is easy to come by on your website!
THANK YOU!
Kristine Elliott

Laura said...

Some ideas my daughter has really enjoyed this year-all vegan of course:
Sushi rolls-sushi rice, veggies rolled in nori.
Make your own pizzas-whole wheat tortillas cut into little rounds with sauce, vegan cheese and veggie toppings.
Breakfast-whole grain waffles, soy or coconut yougurt, and fruit smoothie.
And anything with edamame!

Hope these suggestions help!