Sunday, July 6, 2008

Teriyaki Tofu with Somen Noodles

Kind of a lame pic today I am sorry to say. I am settling in here in Philly (actually, I am in Cherry Hill, NJ with friends) and am trying to get back into the groove and hit my culinary stride. I miss my well stocked pantry, and my many kitchen utensils and gadgets. I am sharing a small kitchen and I am cooking for one. I feel all out of whack. On the plus side, I can shop at Trader Joe's once again. Oh, Joe, how I have missed you. Tonight I went for a balanced one plate meal. Nothing special, but still tasty.


INGREDIENTS
- cooked somen noodles
- 1 pkg firm tofu, diced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2-3 handfuls frozen green and yellow beans
- 1 mini bok choy, sliced
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced

METHOD
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over med-hi heat. Toss tofu in flour and fry for 5-7 mins, turning regularly, until golden. Remove and drain.
2. Add a splash more oil to the pan, if needed. Add green pepper and fry for 3-4 mins, until softened. Add beans and bok choy and fry for 2 mins. Add in sauces and water and bring to bubbling. Let thicken a bit.
3. Add cooked noodles to the pan and mix well. Add tofu and mix well. Add more sauce if it looks too dry. Top with green onions and serve.

7 comments:

Katy said...

I always miss my kitchen when I have to cook somewhere else.
Those noodles look good though!

Rachel said...

Thanks! I kept reading your blog--I've had my eye on your mac and cheese...

Taymer said...

No the pic is not that bad vegan dad
I never saw these noodles in Barbados...hmm it looks good.
Do you use liquid aminos in any of your dishes

Binx said...

I'm in Philly!

Plenty of fun places to eat at. Make sure you stop at Horizons Cafe -- it's the pretty standard Must-Try for vegans stopping through philly. A little pricey but absolutely delicious.

Also my favorite vegetarian Chinese food restaurant is the Su Xing House, at 15th and Sansom Sts. If you make it over there you will be thrilled (best lunch special in town).

Sarah said...

Oh no I was going to comment on the newest post, but its gone now. Well I read it either way. And I think a .pdf would be a great idea, Id definitely be willing to print that baby out, even with a new refill of ink and paper, would still work out to being such a good deal. Cant wait!

Sarah said...

oh btw, in the cookbook, are you planning to say the serving sizes for each meal? I know some of yours currently do, but not all.

Vegan Dad said...

sarah,
Yes, I will say how much the recipe makes, when appropriate. You can always assume that the recipes on the blog will feed at least a family of five.