Saturday, July 12, 2008

Strawberry Peach Mini Strudels

Tonight's meal was actually leftovers from a great veggie Chinese place on Sansom Street. So I thought I would share these strudels I made before I left for my trip. I went a little crazy with my new pasta roller and made my own phyllo from this recipe, but you most certainly can use the store bought variety. The filling was made with fresh local berries that made it all the more tasty.

INGREDIENTS
Makes 4 strudels
- 6 x 8" squares phyllo dough, 4 layers thick (you might want to use 5 if using store bought)
- melted margarine (about 1/4 cup)
- cinnamon and sugar
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 peach, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp flour
- icing sugar

METHOD
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. Mix together sliced berries, peach, sugar, lemon juice, spices and flour in bowl. Set aside.
2. Brush a sheet of phyllo with margarine and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Lay another sheet on top and brush with margarine. Top with another sheet, brush with margarine and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Top with another sheet of phyllo.
3. Place 1/4 of the filling just off center, along the 8" side, leaving some space on either end. Roll up, not too tightly, placing seam side down. Fold up ends and pinch to close. Repeat with remaining filling and dough.
4. Brush each strudel with margarine and cut 3 slits in each. Bake for 30 to 35 mins, or until golden brown.
5. Let cool on a wire rack, then dust with icing sugar.