Monday, May 19, 2008

Udon Noodles with Peanut Sauce

I knew when I made this tonight that it would not photograph well, so sorry for the pic. But, bad pictures aside, I totally love peanut sauce. Tonight I served it simply over udon noodles (mainly because my fridge is looking pretty empty), but it is also good over jasmine rice.


INGREDIENTS
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1" piece ginger, chopped
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 3/4 cup plain soy milk (or light coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp Thai Kitchen red curry paste
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2-4 tbsp cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp chili garlic sauce

METHOD
1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until very smooth. Heat to bubbling in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins, stirring regularly.
2. Serve over udon noodles, or over rice.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I just ate dinner and not the least bit hungry, but I still have a craving for noodles with peanut sauce. Thanks a lot. Yum, peanut sauce.

Eesh said...

I LOVE peanut sauce! I'll have to try yours one day.

Sharon R said...

I try to make oriental or tai food at least once a week & have made peanut sauce, however, your recipe is a little diff than the one I use. It sounds a little more flavorful and I will it. And it has one of the yummiest ingredients- hoisin sauce!

eringee said...

Oh man, so delicious!! I really felt like a peanut butter-thai-ish sauce on some noodles last night, so I jumped on and found this and had everything I needed (followed the recipe to the letter save for a sub of cumin for coriander) and served it over wild yam soba noodles. So amazing and delicious! So, so good for lunch today cold. This may be the best spicy peanut sauce I've made.

Allison said...

Wow this is good! Really easy to make if you have all the ingredients, and it has a nice, complex flavor. I made mine in the blender, and didn't even heat it, since I was using it for a cold noodle dish. So yummy!

Susan (peebsmama) said...

I have tried peanut sauce in the past and hadn't thought much of it because it just tasted like thinned down peanut butter. But your recipe looked like it had some flavor so I gave it a try. I used wheat spaghetti instead of udon since that's what I had on hand, otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. I did have to add more water to make it less thick. It was very tasty with lots of sweet and spicy notes. I topped the noodles with chopped scallions and peanuts.