Monday, May 5, 2008

Mattar Tofu Paneer

Did I ever mention that one reason I became vegan was because I hated cheese? No? That's because I loved cheese. I especially loved Indian paneer, and I often made my own. But, that was back when I suckled at the teat of death (as Isa would say, ha ha). Mattar paneer is one of my favourite dishes, and this version uses pressed tofu in place of paneer.

INGREDIENTS
For the paneer
- 1 pkg firm or extra firm tofu, sliced in half horizontally, and pressed under a fairly heavy weight for at least 30 mins, then cubed
- 3 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tbsp plain soy yogurt
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp miso
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, finely ground

METHOD
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Whisk together wet ingredients in a small bowl, making sure miso dissolves. Add tofu to frying pan and spray lightly with oil. Fry for about 10 mins, turning regularly, until all sides are golden.
2. Add miso mixture to pan and mix well. Allow liquid to absorb/evaporate (will happen fairly quickly), then remove tofu from pan.

INGREDIENTS
For the curry
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1" piece of ginger, minced
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (or 3-4 fresh tomatoes)
- tofu paneer
- 1/2 cup plain soy milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice

METHOD
1. Heat frying pan over medium heat. Melt butter and fry onions, cilantro, and ginger for 5 mins. Add spices and fry for 2 mins.
2. Add peas and tomatoes (with juices) and cook for 5 mins. Add paneer, soymilk, and lemon juice. Bring to bubbling and let simmer for 10 mins. Remove from heat and serve.