Saturday, May 17, 2008

Ciabatta

Success! Renae of I Eat Food (awesome blog name!) suggested this recipe. I realize now that the recipe I was using made a dough that was far to dry for a successful ciabatta. This recipe relies on a stand mixer to make a very wet dough, and I was hesitant to try it because it did not seem authentic. I mean, I can hardly see some Italian momma using her trusty KitchenAid to make some time-honoured family ciabatta recipe. But I can't argue with the results. Light and airy with a very crispy yet chewy crust. If you start this early in the morning you can be eating fresh bread for lunch. The measurements for this recipe are odd (who measures water in grams?) so I am going to make this again tomorrow and post a recipe that uses more normal measurements (and for those who don't have a kitchen scale). I also thought the bread was a touch salty so I am going to reduce that a bit.