Saturday, April 19, 2008

Indian Potatoes and Peas

Not a very imaginative name, I know, but this is an easy and very tasty dish.


INGREDIENTS
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander (i.e. cilantro)
- 1" piece of ginger, minced
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups frozen peas

METHOD
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, coriander, and ginger and fry for 5 mins. Add spices and salt and mix well. Add tomatoes and potatoes into the pan and cook for 5 mins. Add some water into the pan if mixture gets too dry.
2. Add 1 cup of water and bring to bubbling. Lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 mins, until potatoes are soft. Add peas to the pan and cook for 5 mins. Add more water if too dry.

12 comments:

Alexis said...

If you wanted to be fancy you could call it its Indian name, Aloo Mattar. :) But I like the sound of Potatoes and Peas together.

Lisa (Show Me Vegan) said...

Garam masala is one of my favorite seasonings right now, since I can't put cilantro and chipotle in every dish. Looks delicious.

carrie said...

YUM!! I'm just going to have to start copying my weeks worth of menus from yours. Everything you make sounds and looks amazing. Better yet, can you just come cook for me???

Vegan_Noodle said...

It certainly looks delicious... and easy is always a bonus!

Christine said...

Mmm, looks good. I just picked up some garam masala and now have a perfect excuse to use it!

David said...

1/4 cup of coriander? Wow that's a lot....now do you mean whole coriander seeds that you chop up a little, or ground coriander? Thanks, it looks great!

Vegan Dad said...

David,
Chopped fresh coriander, or cilantro. Yes, 1/4 cup of ground corander would be pretty intense!

David said...

Good thing I asked! :-) I always thought the herb itself was called Cilantro, and the seeds were called coriander. That explains it, thanks! Can't wait to try this.

SaraJane said...

Yum! That's one of my favorite Indian dishes. :D

Anonymous said...

My husband made this the other night. The spices are fabulous. It's a great dish. The only trouble we had was our potatoes didn't cook for a long time. We used baby gold yukons because we like them better than russets. Still very delicious.

Christine said...

I made this tonight - mine turned out a little more watery than yours looked, but it was still good! It had a fair amount of heat, and mine had a somewhat mild flavor. And there was a LOT leftover for lunches!

I also threw in a sweet potato I had lying around that was begging to be used - it was an interesting flavor combination that worked out pretty well. I paired it with some brown rice and it filled me up very quickly.

Next time I might try adding some tofu! Thanks!

Vegan Dad said...

Christine,
You can cook this with or without a lid to make the sauce thicker or thinner as you see fit. The ideal situation is to simmer this for a while, letting the potatoes slowly cook and the sauce thicken.