Monday, March 3, 2008

Chick'n Burgers

Tonight was an experiment that worked out pretty well. My reasoning was this: if steaming wheat gluten dough makes a great sausage, then perhaps a modified recipe could mimic other meat as well. This means one could make a palatable seitan quite easily in about 40 minutes instead of hours of simmering. To me, this was quite an attractive possibility. My goal tonight was to make a chicken-like burger. I figured that using just gluten flour would make the burger too tough, so I used some chickpea flour as well. The end result was tender, but perhaps a bit dry. This may be from the chickpea flour. I will experiment some more. Suggestions welcome.


INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water or veggie broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- freshly ground white pepper

METHOD
Get your water on its way to boiling in your steamer
1. Mash beans finely with a fork. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix together into a dough.
2. Divide dough into 8 pieces and shape into burgers. Wet your hands with water is dough is a bit sticky. I pressed the dough into a ring to help get a nice round shape.
2. Wrap each burger in foil, making each as round as possible. Steam over simmering water for 30 minutes (no need for a rolling boil). Unwrap and serve.

15 comments:

arthursmommy said...

V-Dad,

They look really good. I will have to try them. Have a great week.

Krys

Anke said...

oh.my.gosh. that looks so real. and tempting.

as to the chickpea flour: the other day I tried V-cons seitan-chickpea cutlets and found them on the dry side, too. still I think that had I used more liquid, not rolled them out so thinly and baked them less they would have been great. so try canned chickpeas instead of flour. or none at all, why would gluten flour get dry if you steam it?

Vegan Dad said...

Anke,
My concern was that gluten flour would get too tough--sometimes my seitan comes out rather chewy if I cook it too fat, or too hot. I think the key for this recipe is more liquid and steaming at a low heat. I have also heard of steaming in a most cheesecloth (instead of foil) which may make the seitan more moist.

Alexis said...

Would (fresh) breadcrumbs help, do you think?

I'm totally excited about all of the new and less labor-intensive ways to make seitan or related materials, like the baked Seitan of Greatness, the sausages, your patties, and the chickpea cutlets. I'm totally going to actually get motivated enough to make one or more of them soon. :-)

Anonymous said...

hi vegan dad,
this is my first comment, but i have been lurking around your blog for awhile, enjoying your recipes.
these burgers were awesome! my husband the omni (not for long) said this was the best-tasting fake meat he's ever eaten, and i have made them three times in about as many weeks.
thank you!

marian

Vegan Dad said...

Marian,
Score! Thanks for the post, and I am glad the fake meat was a hit.

Chelsea said...

I've been eyeing this recipe forever, and I finally bought some gluten flour to make it. (My first try at seitan!) I still can't find chickpea flour at my regular grocery store though! I can probably get some at whole foods, but are there by any chance any substitutes in the mean time? I'm a cheap college student and probably won't use it that often! :P

Vegan Dad said...

Chelsea,
As I noted in the post, I think the chickpea flour may have dried the seitan out a bit. So, I think you could leave it out and just use 1 1/4 cups gluten flour, or you could replace the chickpea flour with soy flour. To be honest, I made these once and have not gone back to fool around with the recipe.

Angi @ Peakmore Academy said...

I came to your blog (again) to do a search on your use of chickpea Flour (as I have a gallon bucket of it. I was happy to find this recipe. I'm wondering if you think that these might take the place of the less-than-wholesome & pricey Morning$tar Chick'n Patties?? My husband loves them but I just cringe at the ingredient list, each time I buy them for him.

napoleana said...

Since you said they turned out dry, do you think it would work fine to use mashed chickpeas?

and_i_say said...

I know this is an older post, but I finally have to comment on your blog after making your recipes for over a year now.

I used a full cup of northern beans and omitted the chickpea flour. The burgers were soft and not dense at all, like baked seitan can be. Soooo good. I will use this as my "go to" recipe for chick'n burgers instead of buying frozen ones! I split the batch and froze half after cooking for later use. :)

Vegan Began said...

Hey Vegan Dad, I was wondering about this "chicen style broth powder" you list. I've never seen stuff like that before. I have veggie broth cubes but they taste like veggie broth. I have Imagine's no-chicken broth liquid. Can I just mix up some "chicken-y" spices like rosemary and sage and thyme?

Vegan Began said...

I should have searched before I asked the question. I found the DIY chicken style broth powder recipe :)

Dropkick said...

A note to Chelsea:
I was also looking for chickpea flour with no luck at my local store. I thought I was out of luck because of the limited selections of the store. But then while I was picking out some Barley (Bob's Red Mill)in the same display I found Garbanzo Bean Flour!

Garbanzo Beans is another name for Chickpeas.

I felt somewhat dimwitted as I knew this but had still looked past the Garbanzo Bean flour 3 times while looking for Chickpea flour.

sparkle said...

Don't feel alone in that respect. I do that all the time. :)