Monday, January 7, 2008

Vegan Dad on the Road: Open City

So many restaurants, so little time . . . . My final stop on my vegan tour through D.C. was Open City. It's not specifically vegan, and I didn't really want to go there per se, but members of the panel I was presenting on wanted breakfast before the session and this place was very close by. It was actually pretty good, taste wise, but a bit pricey. Here is why: I ordered the tofu scramble which only came with a tahini sauce and scallions. How blasé. It was 75 cents more for some tomatoes, and 1.00 more for baby spinach (I did not really realize this at time of ordering). The tofu was not actually scrambled, it was cubed, then stir fried with the veggies and cooked in a tahini sauce. The taste was good, and I was happy they offered tofu at all. I also ordered a Chai Tea which was spectacular except that they charged an extra 50 cents for soy milk. Gah! I hate when they do that! I don't think they should make soy seem like some luxury item or inconvenience. And, seriously, 50 cents more!!! Times like this make me want to tell the Dairy Board to go suck it.


My plan was to hit Java Green before I left the city. What I did not know is that downtown D.C. basically shuts down on Sunday. Java Green was closed. Undaunted, I trekked over to Washington Deli. Closed. I figured I would give Thai Kitchen a shot. Closed, too. It was a disappointing end to my vegan journeys.

Now, it's back home to cook for myself and Vegan Family. D.C. was fun, the food was great, and I was spoiled. Now, back to reality . . . .

6 comments:

Cravin' Veggies said...

I can sympathize with you on this for sure. There are no veg. restaurants near me. Zero. The only places where tofu is on the menu are Chinese restaurants. The only real vegan option in restaurants around here is salad. And even then you have to make sure. Non-vegan? Pasta. I have yet to find a place that has soy milk (other than Starbucks.)

Ruby Red Vegan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Java Green and the disappointing end to your trip! Java Green would be my first choice stop in D.C. I've heard great things about it...

I can't believe that restaurant was scamming you like that, with all those silly upcharges. It does sound like you had a good breakfast though. When I went to the Chicago Diner, I ordered a tofu scramble which also had tahini in it. I can't remember what it tasted like, but it's not very often we have tofu and tahini at the same time!

Jeda21 said...

Open City was a life saver when my hubbie and I went to DC for new years in Dec of 2006... far cheaper than the Omni, where we were staying. The ambiance was lively and the staff friendly and pretty fast. I hadn't noticed the tofu scramble, but then again, I usually stick with a lite bfast when on vaca.
I enjoyed your posts about your DC trip, and hope to try some of the spots when I have to go for biz in mid June.
TY and keep up the great work!

wingraclaire said...

Want to come to Wisconsin and tell the Dairy Board to go suck it? Starbucks always charges extra for soy milk too. They make us feel lucky to have it at all. Really enjoying your posts.

VeggieGirl said...

oh no!! I can't believe they charged you 50¢ extra for the soymilk (or charged you extra at ALL, for that matter) - that's absolutely absurd. So sorry that the end of your trip wasn't as good as you had expected - there's always next time, right? :0)

jobita said...

Java green is really delish! mostly Korean and American food. next time you're in the city take the metro to Rockville.. go to the Vegetable Garden. TRUST ME it's good! its a hike, but's defiantly worth it! All of the local vegans go there! for bout $20 you'll have food for 2 days!

also consult with vegdc.com for more things in the dc metro area.

when u went to Adams Morgan you should have also stopped at Amsterdam Falafel. they don't take credit, but they have falafel sandwiches that are out of this world and u can load it up with a plethora or toppings...all for like 5-6 bucks!

another place on Georgia Ave. i Everlasting Life...also a local hit!