Monday, December 17, 2007

Tandoori Rotis

We have not had Indian food in a while, and nothing warms you up like a spicy curry. If you have been reading this blog for the past few months you know that I always make dhal. I also made curried chickpeas, which I will post tomorrow. Tonight's experiment was tandoori rotis. This may surprise you, but I don't have a tandoor oven. Neither do any of my friends. So, I thought I would try to mimic a clay oven by using the BBQ and a baking stone. So, out came the shovel and I tunnelled my way out to the BBQ--my neighbours must think I am nuts.

INGREDIENTS
Makes 8 rotis
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 - 1 1/4 cups water
- melted butter

METHOD
1. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Add in enough water to make a soft dough. Knead in a countertop mixer, or on a lightly floured surface for about 3 mins until smooth. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for an hour (helps the gluten relax).
2. Place a baking stone on top of 4 soup cans on top of the BBQ grill. Light BBQ and let heat on med-hi heat. You want the temp to be about 600 degrees.
3. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Shape into a ball and press down by hand into a circle. Let rest, under plastic wrap, for 10 mins.
4. Roll out each dough ball into a 6 inch circle. Sprinkle a little cornmeal on the baking stone. Place 4 rotis on the stone and close the lid. Bake for 5-7 mins, until rotis are puffed up and lightly browned. Repeat until all rotis are baked. Brush with melted margarine and serve.
5. Alternately, bake in an oven on cookie sheets for 8-10 mins at 450 degrees.