Sunday, November 11, 2007

Western Style Sandwich

In the spirit of Vegan MoFo, I am adding some extra posts this weekend about lunch. Generally, my lunch during the work week is leftovers from dinner, or a PB&J if I am in a rush (along with whatever fruits and veggies I grab). On the weekend, though, there is time to make something nice. My mom used to make something like this when I was a kid. This is a veganized and somewhat spiffier version.

First, make some scrambled tofu. Isa posted here recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance here. For this dish, I omit the cremini mushrooms and add 1/4 cup of salsa in at the end.

Next, saute some sliced portabello mushrooms in 2 tbsp oil. When oil is absorbed and the shrooms are starting to soften, splash with a bit of tequila and the juice of half a lime. Sprinkle 1 tsp of chili powder over top and cook until shrooms are soft but not totally flaccid. Remove from pan.

Then, saute up some sliced peppers for 5 mins or so. I used red and orange, but green would work too. Again, make sure peppers are softened but still have some crunch.

Lastly, make the sandwich. Toast some bread. Put down a good layer of scrambled tofu, top with some of the pepper, some sliced tomato, and the mushrooms. Stick some vegenaise and ketchup on the other slice of bread, then unite the two halves for one mighty fine sandwich!