Thursday, November 15, 2007

Veggie Stuffed Pitas and Smoothies

Well, the inevitable happened. Vegan Mom and I have the boys' cold. Blah. The motivation to cook was pretty low tonight, and the fridge is starting to get bare. So, we thawed out the leftover pitas from a few night ago, made some hummus, chopped up veggies, and went crazy. The pita pictured here has hummus, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and alfalfa sprouts. We make the hummus from Vegan Lunch Box because the kids like it. I like something more garlicky, or with roasted peppers.

We supplemented the meal with a smoothie. This is a great way to get fruit into the kids, and it feels great on a sore throat. Into a blender I put:
- a ripe mango, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/3 pkg of silken tofu
- 3 cups soymilk
- sugar to taste

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I am a 23 year old vegan who lives with some non-vegans but very concious eaters and I look at your website every night...such an inspiration and i pretty much only eat raw but so many good ideas have come from your posts, oh and your pictures are so much fun...thank you vegan dad!!

Vegan Dad said...

Jessica,

I am glad you enjoy the blog and the pics. As you can see, I don't really make raw dishes--the recipes always seemed so complicated, time consuming, and reliant on things like dehydrators. Can you suggest any good raw vegan blogs?

Dawn said...

This is one time you didn't want your boys to share, eh? Even your "I-don't-feel-good-and-don't-want-to-cook" meal is beautiful. Hope you and Vegan Mom feel better soon!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Oh how I wished I had your energy and creativity. lately I am in a rut. I really need to get it together. Your dinner looks fab! Thank you for your inspiration. You are a ray of sunshine even when you and vegmom have a cold.

bazu said...

I could go for a smoothie right now- that whole meal looks so fresh and healthy!

A Dog's Best Friend said...

Yummy! After your second post with homemade pitas I had to give it a try. they turned out delicious and were less time consuming than I feared! We ate them all up (despite doubling the recipe)with Navajo Stew from Moosewood's Simple Suppers. Perfect meal for a chilly Canadian night!

Anyways, it's great to see other Vegan Canadians blogging. I've lived in southwest Ontario and found it so isolating. Forget a vegan resturant I just need one with a non-salad vegan option. Forget an organic health food store, I just need a grocer that is smaller than 12 city blocks!

If you ever wander over to Montreal, let me know. I'll share all the city's best vegan secret with you!

Peace
Steph

Vegan Dad said...

Steph,

I don't even bother to go out and eat anymore. Sometimes a restaurant gets as creative as grilling some veggies, but I am just not going to pay $9.99+ for them.

Ah, Montreal . . . . The last time we were there was in 2001 for a Green card interview for Vegan Mom with the INS at the American consulate. It did not go well, so we went to a cafe and drowned our sorrow in smoked meat sandwiches and poutine. Well, those days are over now . . . unless they have developed a vegan poutine.