Saturday, November 24, 2007

Carrot Cashew Curry Coconut Soup

We finally had that fall party we tried to throw last month but was stymied by our kids getting sick. I revived the same menu, despite the fact that about 15 centimetres of snow fell today. Even though it looked like winter, the fall-inspired dishes still worked. The hot cider smelled wonderful, as did the roasted apple chutney. I added this Carrot Cashew Curry Coconut Soup (from the Chez Piggy Cookbook)--a wonderful balance between creamy coconut milk and spicy curry (not that this picture does it any justice).


INGREDIENTS
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 lbs carrots, grated
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste

METHOD:
1. Heat oil in a stockpot and saute onion, celery, garlic and ginger for 15 mins, until onions are golden brown. Add in spices and cashews and cook for another minute.
2. Add carrots and mix thoroughly. Add stock and bring to bubbling. Lower heat, cover, and cook until carrots are soft. Really, the longer you can cook this the better--it lets the flavours develop.
3. Blend with a hand blender until smooth. Stir in coconut milk and heat (but don't boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.

4 comments:

village mama said...

Ahhh, I can just smell the delightful dance of coconut, cashew and ginger. I think I may have to steal this idea for Monday night's soup pot!

Veg-a-Nut said...

OH, that soup looks wonderful. I am glad the family was well enough to have your get together.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this delicious recipe. I was looking online for a good vegan soup recipe and only found the usual--cream of mushroom, lentil, etc.

Then I stumbled upon this by accident (you know how you get lost online, following tangents...in this case, I was looking up no-knead bread recipes. (If you haven't tried it yet, please do, with your kids--it's a great learning experience, easy, and delicious, too))

At any rate, I made your soup today and gave some to a friend whose husband has the flu. It's just delicious.

I'll be using it at one of my gourmet vegetarian dinner parties in the future. AND trying more of your recipes, since this one came out so well. Thanks again!

Aloha,
Alina in Honolulu

Ashley said...

My friends and I made this soup together last night for a welcome back get together we through ourselves. We had a blast making it together and then catching up over such a wonderful meal. The soup was absolutely delicious and the aroma it gave off was probably the best yet. It was still a little bit chunky so I think that I need to try a different blender or blend it longer. But otherwise, perfect! Thanks for another great recipe!