Saturday, October 20, 2007

Pretzel Day

OK, I admit that this is not the most nutritious meal, but man was it good! We are always looking for something fun and different for the kids on the weekend, and this fit the bill. The pretzel recipe is here. I make a few modifications: 1. I bake them at 425 degrees; 2. I line the baking sheet with parchment paper. I also find it easier to let the dough rise on the countertop, covered with oiled plastic wrap. This way you can slice off pieces of dough with a pizza cutter and roll them into pretzels.

TO MAKE PRETZEL DOGS:
Preheat oven to 425
1. Cut off enough dough to flatten into a strip about 1.5" wide and 12-14" long.
2. Starting at one end, wrap the hotdog in the dough.
3. Dip into water-baking soda bath (see recipe) and place on lined baking sheet.
4. Bake until golden brown.
5. Serve with ketchup and mustard for dipping.

FOR CINNAMON SUGAR PRETZELS:
1. Follow recipe, just replace butter with margarine.